Friday, September 3, 2010

How to Avoid Bangalore Traffic

How to Avoid Bangalore Traffic


Hey Guys, for past four years i am staying in Bangalore and commuting for my work which is around 17 Kms from my house in my Hero Honda Passion Plus Bike. My Office is located in New BEL Road and my house is in Kothanur. Total Distance to cover is around 15Kms through outer ring road. In this for past three years I never got caught in any traffic signals nor the Jams which will happen frequently in Outer ring road stretch like Nagawara, Hennur Signal, Lumbini Signal.

Don`t take me wrong, I hate travelling by Service Road because of the fact that it`s main purpose is for Ambulances, emergency services vehicles usage only. We commuters made Service Road as yet another lane and we zoom in the road at high speeds. I also don`t use the pavements because it must be used only by pedestrians not by vehicle owners. Enough of lectures, let me tell you how i avoid Bangalore traffic all these days.

Most of the days i start my Bike at 8:30 AM and I always travel at speed of 50Kmph. This gives me a good mileage and a good performance for my Bike. During 8:30, the traffic of Outer ring road will get its pace near hennur, nagawara. Also the signals are mostly Manual (It will be a surprise if you see these signals are automatic). I used to get caught in the Hennur signal for max of 2 minutes and then I synchronize my bike speed to 50 Kmph which is well below the prescribed speed limit in that road for two wheeler.

Most of the LMVs, HMVs zoom at 60 or 80 Kmph but I don`t raise my speed more than 50 Kmph. When I reach the first signal at Nagawara, mostly it will turn green or I need to wait for max of 30 to 60 Seconds.

Why I travel @ 50Kmph?

My speed is my key to avoid traffic. 50 Kmph is not a bad speed and also in case of accidents, it is a speed at which you will not bear a greater damage. Also you can control your Bike easily.

Another main reason for my speed is, the mathematical calculation which I did to find the time taken to change the signal to green for you. Mostly, all signals of Bangalore are tuned to Max of 3 minutes wait time. If manual you need to pray God to give Gyan to those Policemen because they tend to give 10 minutes wait time for you.

My First Signal - Nagwara

One of the worst signals of outer ring road; none of the commuters know the meaning of traffic rules. They follow their own rules and Policemen do not even care about these. This Signal is always in a Mess. To reach Nagwara from Hennur signal, it mostly takes 2:45 minutes. So when I reach the tail of the waiting traffic I am well within the time of 3 minutes, so i can easily cut my bike between the Vehicle lines and can come to front. By the time I reach the head, the Signal will turn to Green. My first mission accomplished.

My Second Signal - lumbini circle

This is another signal which is not less than Nagwara in terms of traffic rule violations. This is the only signal in the world in which Policemen will say you to violate the rule. Also this is a shorter distance signal from Nagwara which is about one Kmph distance. This signal also is kind of automatic but mostly manual. When you start from Nagwara, you need to synchronize yourself to a speed of 40Kmph so that you can reach signal in just 1:30 minute. The remaining time will be spent on cutting the vehicle lines because most of the vehicles will not follow traffic lane discipline. So when you reach the middle the signal will wait for you with Green. Again my Mission accomplished.

My Third Signal - Hebbal Flyover

This is the flyover which is more disciplined and people tend to follow the rules. You can zoom past this signal by travelling @ speed of 50 Kmph. once you cross this signal you easily cross the Big bazzar signal and you can take by lanes of RMV extn.

If you read this article you can find most of the times i am travelling on 50 Kmph and i synchronize the time. Yes Synchronizing the Signals is the key for my traffic avoidance. If you know your route and know the time it takes for the signal back, you can easily enjoy a comfy ride.

Also you need to know the by lanes of some areas so that in case of heavy traffic you can escape them.

Happy riding guys

No comments:

Post a Comment