Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Hit by Inflation students seek hike in pocket money

Hit by Inflation students seek hike in pocket money

Hi Sridhar & Farheen,

I read your article in Bangalore Mirror about why parents should increase pocket money.

I have been waiting for someone to address this issue so I can share my views on the same. So thank you for giving me an opportunity. Without wasting our time here is what I have to say –

An avg western family kicks their kids out to earn when they are 18+. After talking to many people from the west I learn than an avg kid working 2 to 3 hrs a day earns around $50 to $150 a week. At the age of 18, our kids spend that kind of money of their parents.

We living in generation next today. Today's kids are a hundred times smarter than us (anyone who is above 30). We cannot treat them the way we were treated by our parents. We cannot cripple them by asking them to focus on Education (that outdates itself in every 3 yrs) and keep paying for their pocket money and college fees. The kids today are much more capable then us to earn their own money at 18. As a result of crippling them we demoralize them and make them good for nothing individuals who run for a shoulder to cry when they face small little challenges (failed relationship, lost job, job pressure, etc). I personally know of people who started their enterprise @ 18yrs and today at 25 they are retired financially. IT IS POSSIBLE TODAY !

I understand we love our kids and don't want to make them undergo the hard times we went through. But when it's time for the egg to hatch, you can't force a chick to be inside coz WE as parents are scared. WE ARE KILLING THE SPIRIT of youth. I talk in colleges and schools. I talk about dreaming big and working hard to achieve them. But it is PAINFUL when I heard what kids have to say. They tell me they have dreams but their parents will not ALLOW them to do what they want. I can't believe there are parents who don't allow kids to talk or make friends with new kids in college. Only because they are scared they would get into bad company.

How more ridiculous can parents get ? It's like you don't wanna connect your computer to internet coz you scared of virus. But… HOW LONG ? Our current mindset of parents is making the biggest chunk of ANTI SOCIAL ELEMENTS. All this will change when we learn to teach them Values, Principles & Ethics. The importance of each in our lives and THEN, let them go find their calling.

Its time parents go to school and college and learn and update their old outdated operating systems. Coz the kids come with Windows 7. And as far as I know a system running 95 cannot handle a bunch of Win7's. It's no different in human beings.

My advice,

There are enough ways for an 18yr old to make decent money. Legally, Ethically & Morally. My humble advice to parents, do not increase their pocket money. Rather give them a small chunk of money and tell them they have 3 to 6 months to make profits from it. They can keep the profits and return the capital back. I'm currently running a program called “Retire Young and Rich”. My definition of Retire – by the time a kid graduates he has enough money to fund his own higher education without taking a loan. He is earning a constant 10,000 to 20,000 per month from his own venture. This would only take 25,000 to 30,000 as an investment and 6 to 15 hrs a week of work.

I'm sure there are others too who are doing something like this. My org profile is attached for your viewing. Mz. Bhavya (Bangalore Mirror) was kind enough to feature me in her article “The dream catchers” last month.

My intentions are very clear. I want to see the young India take charge. For this we have to slowly start putting responsibility onto their shoulders. We have to become MENTORS and not tell them what to do.

Let's build the Gen Next !

WHY STEAL WHEN YOU CAN EARN !


Thanks,
CD
Source: Mail from self improvement meetup group

No comments:

Post a Comment