Saturday, June 25, 2011

One eyed father

One eyed father

My dad only had one eye. I hated him... He was such an embarrassment. He cooked for students & teachers to support the family. There was this one day during elementary school where my dad came to Say hello to me. I was so embarrassed.

How could he do this to me?
I ignored him, threw him a hateful look and ran out. The next day at school one of my classmates said, "EEEE, your dad only Has one eye!" I wanted to bury myself I also wanted my dad to just disappear.. I confronted him that day and said, " If you`re only gonna make me a Laughing stock, why don`t you just die?" My dad did not respond.... I didn`t even stop to think for a second about what I had said, because I was full of anger.
I was oblivious to his feelings.I wanted out of that house, and have nothing to do with him.So I studied real hard, got a chance to go abroad to study. Then, I got married.

I bought a house of my own. I had kids of my own.I was happy with my life, my kids and the comforts, Then one day, my father came to visit me. He hadn`t seen me in years and he didn`t even meet his Grandchildren. When he stood by the door, my children laughed at him, and I yelled at Him for coming over uninvited. I screamed at him, "How dare you come to my house and scare my Children!" GET OUT OF HERE! NOW!!!" And to this, my father quietly answered, "Oh, I`m so sorry. I may have Gotten the wrong address," And he disappeared out of sight.

One day, a letter regarding a school reunion came to my house.. So I lied to my wife that I was going on a business trip. After the reunion, I went to the old shack just out of curiosity. My neighbors said that he died. I did not shed a single tear. They handed me a letter that he had wanted me to have.

"My dearest son,

I think of you all the time. I`m sorry that I came to your house and Scared your children.
I was so glad when I heard you were coming for the reunion. But I may not be able to even get out of bed to see you.
I`m sorry that I was a constant embarrassment to you when you were Growing up. You see... when you were very little, you got into an accident, and Lost your eye.
As a father, I couldn`t stand watching you Having to grow up with one eye. So I gave you mine.I was so proud of my son who was seeing a whole new world for me, in my Place, with that eye.

With all my love to you,
Your father
.

No comments:

Post a Comment